Friday, January 27, 2012

Sundance Day 8 and 9 (The End)

Me and Joe Malina at our Salt Lake screening.

Waiting for our TV interview.

Our TV interview. Jonny's not paying attention.

Kelly watching from the other side of the room.

Fun times at Park City TV.

A happy Kelly at Slamdance.

Main Street on our last night.

Me waiting to go on to the TV show.

A group of us are sitting in the Salt Lake City airport waiting to board our plane back to Texas. I have this pit in my stomach. I'm eager to get home and see Mark and get back to the normal world. But on the flip side, I'll miss the condo dance parties, the movies, our new filmmaker friends, running into random friends on Main Street and maybe just maybe ... the snow. But here we are ... about to dive back into real life. I'm about to spend an entire weekend reading student scripts, working with my Women in Cinema girls and squeezing in some time to hang out with Mark. Thank god for his patience.

So here goes the last of my Sundance recap ...

Day 8
Kelly, Jonny and I woke up at the crack of dawn to make an 8:15am interview at the Park City TV station. We were the suckers to take the early slot. I looked around their station, shocked at how many people are up so early. And because they forgot we were coming we had to quickly debrief the interview guy and hand off our trailer. The interview went off fairly well aside from the guy kept calling Jonny, "John" and our trailer played a little wonky.

After the interview we headed to brunch on Main Street. It seemed like tumbleweed was practically rolling through the streets.

I head over to the Eccles by myself to catch Safety Not Guaranteed. I won't give too much away because I really loved this film and I hope it's already gotten a distribution deal. But it was totally up my alley. I'm a sucker for kind hearted characters and 80s throwbacks and being able to see a director's big heart all over a screen. And, would you look at that-- in the credits I noticed a friend from a long time ago working with the casting director that we're working with right now on Nikki. Small world. That gets smaller every single day.

Afterward I headed home to chill out for a bit and get a little work done. But before I knew it, I was trekking back up Main Street with EJ to do one last interview for our little silly videos. Okay, so I am not the best interviewee. I'm not funny or witty without my cohorts Jonny and Kelly. Poor EJ just wanted me to be funny. "Be funny, Kat." And I wasn't. Sorry EJ.

Kelly met up with us for dinner at our favorite spot Flanagans. We frequented their fine establishment three times over 24 hours. I'm a creature of habit.

After dinner I met up with Jonny and Farah at the Egyptian theater to see The Pact. Nick who directed The Pact was one of my first Sundance friends back in our LA orientation. He had a short version of The Pact at Sundance 2011, found a financier, wrote the feature and was back a year later. I will totally take that scenario, please. We had a blast watching it. I discovered that Jonny likes to talk to the screen, "Oh that's brilliant', "Oh shit, that's bullshit.", "Dude, don't go in there." I on the other hand, just hid my face under my coat the entire time. It's a really fun horror film. With practical FX that floored me.

We spent our last night hanging out at the Slamdance party, taking photobooth photos, seeing our 33 Teeth friends and drinking free beer. No beer for me though. We came home in time to witness our crew's dance party in condo 415. Our remaining crew being Ashlyn, Beth and EJ drunkenly dancing in a circle in their living room to booty music. And in that moment, I felt old. It was like Jonny, Kelly and I were the mom and two dads hanging out with our kids. So we went home and went to bed.

Day 9
We slapped our alarm clocks bright and early to pack and check out. Then we headed to see Bones Brigade at the Marc Theater. Kelly and Jonny reverted into teen boys at the sight of Stacy Peralta, Rodney Mullens and Caballero. No lie, they were giddy little kids seeing and later meeting their idols. It was cute..

We raced over to the Prospector for our last screening of Hellion. One last packed theater. One last intro to the film and one last time seeing it huge and loud on a big screen in Park City. I wasn't quite ready for that part to be over. Hearing a sold out crowd laughing and responding to this little film we had no expectations for.

Then a last lunch with the gang and back to catch our shuttle. And that's when we called it a week. A successful, exhausting, exhilerating, terrifying, gratifying, bonding, inspiring week.

So what's next for our little Hellion? We have something in the works to get it out into the world, but probably can't talk too much about that just yet. We have some festivals lined up. And I've been writing like mad to get a decent feature version ready to start plugging in the spring.


No comments: