Saturday, December 04, 2010

River Phoenix at Einstein's A Go Go

In doing a little research on a project hopefully going into pre-production next year, I dug up this old photo of River Phoenix. This was the night his band Aleka's Attic played at Einstein's A Go Go in Jacksonville Beach, FL. I was at this concert. I was fifteen, I think. Still have the ticket stub and a stack of photos to prove it. I remember this night like it was yesterday. He walked up to the bar and stood next to me for a brief second while he ordered a drink. My heart stopped and I couldn't breathe. I wanted to tell him, "I love you so much. I've loved you ever since Stand By Me. I'm cool. I swear. We should be friends." But yeah, I didn't say that. Any of that. Or even open my mouth. I just stood frozen savoring the moment.

2 comments:

graygirl said...

Thank you so much for posting this! What a great memory you have. I don't know if I would have been able to keep quiet! I definitely think of River often.

Clare said...

Love it. I thought I saw River walking down the street the other day. I actually had to stop and remind myself that it couldn't be him. Made me wistful and sad but happy to see someone who resembled him so much. I'm so glad we have these pictures to remember that night by. xoox