Sunday, November 22, 2009

New Moon vs. Bright Star vs. Teen Romance in General


Yes, I've read almost all four Twilight books. I got bored with the fourth and never really wanted to go back. I was excited to see New Moon just because ... I'm a fifteen year old girl living in a thirty five year old's body. No, I didn't like the first film. Even though, I'm somewhat embarrassed to say I've seen it three times. I could go on and on with what I didn't like and why, but why bother, honestly it doesn't matter. It's not like the flocks of fans will love it any less. Needless to say New Moon didn't fair too well with me either. I left the theater thinking, if only all these millions of Twilight fans could've seen Bright Star instead. They would've gotten their money's worth. Now there's a movie that drips with romance. Oozes with angst. Rips your heart out. Lingers on the lovers stare as if there was nothing else in the world that could keep them apart. I was the fifteen year old watching Campion's film clapping and secretly thinking to myself "Kiss her, kiss her!"

I've been working on these two teen romance outlines for a possible writing gig. I've been looking for inspiration anywhere I can get it. Went back through my old journals, have been reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower again, watching romance movies ... anything to get back into that sixteen year old's head.

I really like the story for the first outline I turned in last week. It feels rich and it's a world I'd like to live in for 90 minutes to an hour. I was excited any time I got to work on it or reflect on the characters. The second one, I'm pretty "eh" on. I think I just haven't had enough time to let it settle like I did with the first. To find the moments and character details to make it grow. So I'll turn in the second one tomorrow with a brief note telling them, "I like the first one better". I even made a mix CD to go along with the first one. Basically a mix of Nick Drake, Iron and Wine and Jose Gonzalez. It's all I listened to when I was working on it. I'll be happy to turn them both in and then just wait. Honestly if they don't pick the outline I really love, I'll probably move forward with it anyway, but I'll have to change one big character detail in it. But no big deal. It won't change the heart.

2 comments:

~L~ said...

Maybe so, but I wouldn't break my vows for Ben Whishaw ;)

Ashley Rae said...

I LOVED LOVED LOVED Bright Star. It was so brilliant and beautiful and heartbreakingly honest and yes...made me full full full of angst. ahhhhhhh