Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I Am a Student

Ok, so yeah, I teach at UT as a Lecturer in the film department. I know a thing or two about a thing or two when it comes to making movies. And if I don't know, I usually say with a shrug, "I don't know, let's figure it out". But I'm far, far away from knowing a whole heck of a lot of everything about everything. That's for damn sure. As a teacher I learn a ton from my students. From their strengths, their weaknesses, their mistakes and their triumphs. Because I didn't go to film school and I don't always know the ins and outs of all the technical aspects or terminology, sometimes I take notes from them. But that's the beautiful thing about school.

So because I'm always and will always be learning, I've kind of been going back to school myself. No, I'm not enrolling in a major university anytime soon or anytime ever. No way, no day. But instead, I'm sitting in on classes, taking notes, observing, watching, soaking in anything I can, from acting classes, screenwriting courses and anywhere that they'll let me just sit and listen. And I'm loving it. And learning a ton. I can't pretend to know what I don't know. I'm the worst liar in the world. So after ten years of making movies, I want to learn more. I want to expand my world and my knowledge so I can make better movies and tell better stories. So yeah, I'm a student. And thankfully I'll be a student all my life. Forever and ever. The end.

No comments: