Friday, October 16, 2009

Happy Birthday, Clare




I think of Clare and it makes me cry because I love her so much. She's one of my longest, bestest friends in the whole wide world.

We met at the first seventh grade dance at Stanton College Preparatory School back in 1986. Jacksonville, FL, yo! I was sporting my badly permed hair teased up high with my huge gold bangle earrings. She was wearing the same safari shirt I owned (safari was totally "in" back then) with her big, sparkling braces. I don't even remember who introduced us cause we weren't in any of the same classes. Big boobed Lorie Bohanon maybe? Probably. One minute we were dancing to the B-52s Rock Lobster in the auditorium, the next minute we were BFF for life. Through stupid boy crushes (Jamie Solomon, Rick Hill), thespian competitions, Tuesday Au Bon Pain dates in Boston our freshman year of college, long phone chats from clear across the country (Austin to Seattle), dance parties, Einstein's A Go Go, weddings, children, careers-- she's my family and my heart.

In high school, we all wanted to be like Clare. Ask Karen, it's totally true. Clare was intelligent, beautiful, classy, mature beyond her years, always the teacher's pet, super cool, poised, made straight "A"s, compassionate, talented and always had her shit together big time. Not to mention she loved everyone and everyone loved her. And everyone of those things still stands today.

I'm counting the days to when I get to see her sweet face in person in two weeks when me, Karen, Clare, Kelly Rae and Ama take a little trip to South Padre. They'll be a major dance party USA, facials, gossip, long walks and huge huge hugs. These are my girls. I love them to death.

2 comments:

Clare said...

I just saw this today! Look at you going and making me cry. I love you more than I will ever be able to let you know. Can't wait to see you in 2.5 weeks! oxoxoxoxoxoxox

Ama Livia Reynolds said...

Now I'm crying at work, Kathleen Candler, so you got me back. Clare Aronow is the bee's knees. And everything you said about how she was in high school is still true today! When I grow up, I want to be Clare. Cannot wait for the trip! xo