Monday, September 21, 2009

The Spider in the Bathtub = Optioned

First off, let me just say, it feels super weird and almost surreal that I'm putting this on record. As if, by putting it in writing it's really really true. But it is. So yeah, cool.

After a long, long, long back and forth with lawyers this summer, I can safely and happily say that The Spider in the Bathtub (cowritten with Chris Mass) has been officially optioned to LAF Studios / Victoria Fredrick (Pride). We met Victoria at the Tribeca All Access Program last Spring and hit it off immediately. Her heart is all over this film almost as much as mine.

I'm attached to direct with a few provisions. I'm a newbie (in the world of bigger budgets) so I get provisions. But that's cool. The most I can hope for is that it makes it to a screen near you, in tact with my heart still all over it.

Next up, it goes out to talent. Don't ask me how that goes exactly. I've only done that once with Michael Emerson and jumping off bridges. And he signed on right off the bat. And he just won an Emmy last night for Lost. Cause he's awesome.

I have a lot of high hopes for this film. It all started when I was about seven years old and my dad was out of town and my mom found a gianormous spider in our bathtub. It became an all night adventure for me, my mom, my brother and our neighbors to get rid of it. Hopefully I can share a more fictionalized version with everyone in the next year or two. On a big screen. In a multiplex. With popcorn and junior mints in tow.

Special Note: Anything and everything could go wrong at any point. So even though this is a big, huge, awesome step, it's a tiny step to getting it to the screen. This is just the beginning to a long, difficult, but hopefully very rewarding road. And soon ... very soon, Mark will get his Blu-Ray player.

19 comments:

~L~ said...

Really super happy for you!! This is great wonderful fantatic news!!!

Mandy said...

Congratulations!!! You are my own personal heroine.

You're so super talented, so I knew it was just a matter of time...

David Lowery said...

Hooray!!!! Now you can move to LA, just in time for me coming back to Austin!!!

Lorie said...

Yippee, yippee yay, yippee yay!

Catherine said...

The Berra clan is so proud of you! Woo Hoo!!!!!

poyboy said...

Go Go Go!

Pete Bauer said...

That's great Kat! I'm so excited for you! :)

Clay Liford said...

Sooo awesome! You deserve it! I'm happy for you, kiddo!

Ama Livia Reynolds said...

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO proud of you, Kat. Love you SOOOOOOOOOOOO much! You earned this.

Ama Livia Reynolds said...

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO proud of you, Kat. And I love you forever. You deserve this. You earned it. And you can DO EEET! XO Ama

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Yes I was yelling. LOL I'm so glad for you. You guys are the best and I see a huge, huge future for you. Kelsey says, hey!!!

Trish and Kelsey Buchanan

Acting Journal said...

Congratulations Kat! I hope it all makes it to the screen with your heart in tact and covering your dream.

aliciasabo said...

Wowie! Zowie!, it's a tiny step, but it is so BIG. You are so awesome. So happy to know you and follow you and have been touched by you. Keep going, girl. Alicia

dkroll said...

Kat, that's fantastic. Best of luck in this labor of love. (We haven't met, but I'm an actor-friend of Leslie Langee's, and a fan.) By the way.... have you cast the spider yet?? - David

Sonny Castillo said...

Congrats. That's good to hear.

Eric Schwartz said...

Kat, that's fantastic news and well-deserved. Congrats!

DMO said...

Kat,
Wonderful news. We have bathtubs in San Antonio! Congratulations and please keep us posted - Drew

Jolyn Janis said...

woohooo!!

of COURSE it happened, cuz you work hard at your passions and ooze good-vibeness :)

Big Dave said...

While I have never actually seen your work or met you, as a writer Director here in Austin I AM very proud of you and very happy for you!!

This is the type of news that makes me really happy to be doing what I/we do. With talent,hard work and some luck we all have a shot and that is great.

Good luck filming and keep living the dream!! :)

-Dave Tuck