Sunday, September 27, 2009

Fantastic Fest - Halfway Mark

We're smack dab in the middle of Fantastic Fest. I missed Saturday so I could hang out with the great Scott Bate and watch Nick and Heather get hitched. But other than that, I've been averaging about three movies a day. Here's what I've seen so far.

Van Diemen's Land
For what, apparently, was a low to no budget debut feature film-- holy gamoly. It's beautifully shot (on the Red), handled the material (true story about cannibalism in 1822) with class and offered some stellar performances. A nice start to the festival.

Terribly Happy
A spiraling small town tale ropes you in with its bizarro characters and question of what the hell could possibly go wrong next.

Krabat
A fun, adventurous story of sorcery, grim reapers and immortality. I had a lot of fun with this one. Took me back to the days when Disney used to do kid horror/fantasy films.

Trick R Treat
I loved it. Whimsical, silly, scary and total 80s. If I were in middle school, this is the film I'd rent for all my slumber parties.


A Town Called Panic
Loved this little stop motion comedic gem. Absolutely hilarious. I want there to be more movies like this in the world.

More Reviews at Tractor Facts

Movies on my list to see:
Down Terrace, The House of the Devil, The Children, District 13: Ultimatum, Cropsey, Mandrill, Stingray Sam, Salvage, Private Eye, Breathless, Under the Mountain, Kaifeck Murder, Fish Story, Daybreakers

No comments: