Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Assignment - Music of My Life


Van assigned a few Tribeca All Access friends to make mixed CDs that sum up our lives. Oh lord. That's kind of a whopping assignment.

So I've been thinking, fretting and trying to figure out how to use iTunes for weeks now. But tonight was the night that I stopped, sat down and made Mark give me a tutorial in iTunes so I could make my mix.

Here are my songs and why.

Olivia Newton John – Xanadu
I was obsessed with this movie and obsessed with Olivia Newton John as a kid.

Paula Abdul – Cold Hearted
I took a lot of dance lessons growing up. Tap, ballet, point and jazz (my favorite). My first jazz routine in a dance recital was to Cold Hearted. In my tights and spandex, I thought I was so freakin' cool.

Run DMC – It’s Tricky
In junior high I learned a whole cheerleading routine to It's Tricky for junior varsity cheerleading try outs. I chickened out at the last minute and bailed on the try outs. Probably for the best.

The Bangles - Hazy Shade of Winter
I loved loved loved The Bangles. I did more lip syncing into a hairbrush in front of a full length mirror in my bedroom to this band than any other.

Heart – Barracuda
I got nicknamed Barracuda after I won my mock trial in 9th grade as the prosecuting attorney. Little did my government teacher know ... I planted the jawbreakers in the suspect's locker. Oops.

REM – Pop Song 89
My big brother introduced me to REM when he brought home the Green album. It's been love at first sight ever since. Anytime I listen to the Green album, I think of my bro.

Jane’s Addiction – Summertime Rolls
This song sums up one of my all time favorite days of high school. It involved a flat tire, an overcast beach, best friends and the boy I loved.

Pearl Jam – Black
A high school crush wrote the lyrics of Black to me in a copy of Moby Dick that we passed back and forth in the high school hallways.

The Sundays – Here’s Where the Story Ends
Einstein's a Go Go all ages dance club in Jacksonville Beach, FL. Say no more.

Vapour Trails – Ride
Makes me feel like I'm sixteen, clumsy and shy again.

100,000 Fireflies – Superchunk
Yes, I love the original too. I was introduced to Superchunk, the Magnetic Fields, GBV and so many more when I worked as a deejay at WVFS Tallahassee, V89 (college radio). This was a time when I became a music junkie.

Eric’s Trip – Behind the Garage
I love Eric's Trip. I love this album. It breaks my heart. I wanted so badly to use it in my second feature film, but damn you Sub Pop records and asking for too much money!

Blake Babies – Out There
Went on all of my college mixed tapes.

The Pixies – Gigantic
In my college band, Jake Ryan, we covered this song. I remember being on stage at the Cow Haus in Tallahassee and pretending to be Kim Deal.

PJ Harvey – Good Fortune
During a painful break up from an eight year relationship, I relied on PJ Harvey and this album to pull me through it.

The Pretenders – Mystery Achievement
I discovered or rather, found an appreciation for The Pretenders a little late in life. This record is my most listened to record of the last few years. And this song is kind of my anthem.

Kelly Clarkson – Since U Been Gone

When all of our friends were getting married, this was the song that got us all on the dance floor, screaming and singing at the top of our lungs.

Wolf Parade – I’ll Believe in Anything
Just makes me happy to be in love.

Explosions in the Sky – Day 4
It's the last song over the credits in jumping off bridges. It makes me feel triumphant and hopeful.

No comments: