Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Thirty Four Going on Twelve

When you get to the nitty gritty on a second or third draft it feels like doing microscopic surgery. Going through each scene, each moment, each line, with a razor thin scalpel and shaving a little here, rewording a little there. Making sure things have smooth transitions, characters get every bit of development that they deserve, and have solid resolutions. It's sprinkling bits and pieces to make it snap, crackle and pop.

I'm back to work on Captain Dynamo this week. It's feeling a lot more tight and a lot more developed. The loose ends that I was being lazy about, I finally went through and tied them all together or used new rope. I love living in this weirdo world of Boy Rangers, villains, trap doors and werewolves. My husband keeps telling me he thinks I'm a twelve year old in a thirty four year old's body. I kind of agree.

No comments: