Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Writing through Mud

I've described it like this before and I'll do it again. Writing is like swimming through mud. You get so far down, in the muckity muck of it all, you can't poke your head out to see the bigger picture. To see what's working and what's not. Is the plot solid? Are the pieces in place? Are the characters finding their arc? Is it even good? I've been so in the mud with this Captain Dynamo script it's hard to see it with any perspective anymore. So I'll take a step back for a day or two, give myself some distance. Gather some more notes and then put the final touches on it before the read through next week.

I think after this month, I need to take a tiny break from writing. And maybe my computer. If only my husband could hear me say that. He'd have a big ole smile on his face. He'd love to toss my precious laptop out the window if he could. But it's so true. I just need to step away.

2 comments:

Clare said...

You find the best photos to accompany your blog entries.

Kat Candler said...

right now i wish i could be those little guys. it looks like fun.