Monday, July 27, 2009

Jane Campion's Bright Star - Trailer



I was nineteen and working at the Oak Lake Six Movie Theater in Tallahassee, FL when I first saw Jane Campion's The Piano. At that point in my life I was mostly used to mainstream fare. I'd worked in a movie theater since the age of 15 and saw anything and everything that came out. But having grown up in North Florida, that didn't include art house films.

It might sound totally stupid and silly, but watching that movie, kind of changed my life. Or at least my perspective of what movies could be. I must've watched The Piano at least four or five times in the theater. I became obsessed. I read the script, bought the soundtrack. I'd never seen something so beautiful and so heart breaking in my life. And little did I know at the time, it was made by a woman, something then that was pretty rare and sadly, still is.

Anyhow, I'm beyond excited about Campion's latest, Bright Star. It's weird to think she hasn't made a feature since In the Cut. Crazy, really. She's hit or miss with me, but damnit if I didn't sit in the theater this morning, riveted by the trailer for Bright Star. I'll be the first in line. First screening, first day. I'm there.

1 comment:

zman099 said...

I'm really looking forward to Campion's Bright Star when it hits theaters this fall. It's great to see her back in the director's chair, and the visuals of the film look stunning. If you haven't seen the films official poster in addition to the trailer, you can find it here: www.brightstar-movie.com