Friday, July 10, 2009

Embracing the Naivete

I'm happy to be on the other side of naivete these days. Age, wisdom and experience seemed to shove me there, I guess.

But in my early and mid 20s, I was FULL of naivete. And honestly, I think it worked in my favor. For the following reasons ...

1) I'm gonna move to Austin, TX and become a filmmaker. Do you know how? Not really. Not yet. Cool. Ok.

2) I wrote this short script. I think I'm the only one who can direct it. But you sure you know how? No. Not really. I can figure it out though, don't you think? Cool. Ok.

3) I think we should make a feature film. Just to see if we can do it! Isn't that expensive? Don't we need a lot of help? I guess. Cool. Ok.

4) I think I'm gonna write another feature film. Maybe two. I need to have some projects ready to go. That's what Linklater said, right? Cool. Ok.

5) I'm gonna go to Sundance, watch some films and try and meet some people. Don't you have to have a film there to go? I don't think so. Cool. Ok.

6) I'm gonna go to New York and try and sell my next feature. Don't you have to have an agent or something? I dunno. Cool. Ok.

My point being, not knowing how to do things should never stop you from doing them. Having that sense of innocence can get you so much further than knowing how the world works. Cause sometimes knowing how it works can be a little stunting.

So when a former youthful student tells me, "I think I'm gonna write a feature script and sell it", I stop myself from going on a long rant about the business and the system and the percentages of those who make it yadda, yadda, yadda because instead I should just say "You should totally do that".

3 comments:

Joe M. O'Connell said...

I call this my "stupid" philosophy. Everything I've accomplished has been from being stupid. Did I mention I'm making a documentary about Gary Kent? Yes, I'm stupid! Come to the release of his memoir next Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Bookpeople. I'll be there filming with some help.

Pete Bauer said...

Amen, Kat. We can accomplish so much we don't realize how difficult it's going to be :)

I've learned to embrace that. I just know if I start something, I have to finish it and, by making that commitment, I find myself at the other end of a very long, difficult, but incredibly satisfying road with a finished project.

Then people ask "How were you able to do that?"

"I dunno... we just did it."

Embracing the Inner Idiot can really take you places!

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much!! Great words of wisdom from someone who's been there and IS there.