Friday, May 08, 2009

Why I Love Rush.

I'm a sucker for wood paneled station wagons. I get excited any time I see one on the road. Don't ask me why, I just do. I also freak out when Rush plays on the radio. I love Rush. I'll admit it. But I don't love Rush by choice. See, it's a little complicated. In junior high I listened to The Police, U2, The Bangles, REM, Edie Brickell and then anything that was forced upon me because it seeped through my bedroom wall from my brother's room. First and foremost, that was Rush. My brother was (and still is) one of the biggest Rush fans in the world. And I'm not exaggerating. He travels far and wide to a million concerts, has a closet full of Rush T-shirts, stacks of CDs, concert DVDs, books and can play all of the songs on the drums, guitar and maybe even the bass. Growing up it was 90% of what he listened to. And I absolutely hated it. I thought Geddy Lee's voice was annoying and girlish. The band made my ears bleed. They were totally and utterly ... uncool. And because I had Rush shoved down my throat, I knew every album, every song by heart.

After I left home for college and my brother and I stopped our stupid fights over me borrowing his whitewash jeans, we actually became pretty close. So nowadays anytime I hear Rush come on the radio, I turn it up. I sing along. I play the air drums in my car. And I love it.

Why do I bring this up? Because for our anniversary last night Mark took me to see I Love You, Man. This will go down as one of my favorite films of the year. No doubt. I loved it so much. There's a realism and a sweetness that you don't find in Hollywood movies these days. And it made me think about my brother and how cool and wonderful and awesome he is. And how much I love Rush because it always reminds me of him.

So Robert, this one's for you ...

4 comments:

Deneice said...

this is great :) my uncle really loves rush and constantly talks about the epicness of 2112. it always brings us closer :)

Clay Liford said...

Dumb question, and you've probably already blogged about it, but have you seen Adventureland? I went with zero expectations, and was totally steamrolled by it. I think you'd love it!

Kat Candler said...

i loved it. unexpectedly.

Mitchell said...

Yes, Rush rocks like nobody's business.
--Mitchell