Sunday, May 24, 2009

Meatballs (1979)

After about 20 minutes in, I'm like, "Wait a second, I've seen this movie before. It's all coming back to me. There's lots of sex jokes, some sort of race, the guy that sleeps in trees ..." The movie's good. It's not like the most amazing thing in the world, but it's a lot of fun. The kind of movie that comes on on a Saturday afternoon and you just can't help but plop on the couch and finish it all the way to the end.

What I love most about it? Tripper Harrison. That's Bill Murray's character. My new hero. He's ridiculously hilarious, sexy (seriously, just look at his legs in those short shorts), sweet as hell, sticks up for the underdogs, totally cool and has a heart of gold. I want him to be my friend. I want him to believe in me, like he believed in Rudy. But I tell ya what ... had anyone else played Tripper in Meatballs, it wouldn't be the same. God bless Ivan Reitman for giving Bill Murray his first break out role. And god bless you, Mr. Murray for just being born.

No comments: