Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Can't Buy Me Love (1987)

I hadn't seen Can't Buy Me Love since it came to the theaters in 1987. I would've been ... thirteen. The prime age to be wishing I had the same cool leather jacket (with fringe) that Amanda Peterson wore to the big party. Or wishing I had the guts to stand up to the bullies at school who always picked on the nerds in the lunchroom. Well, maybe not the later because my school was made up of nerds and geeks. People called it "the geek school". But even still! There was certainly a hierarchy of nerds. But my point being, even after watching it 22 years later, I still loved it. And I still cried (a little) when Ronald Miller stood up to the jock in the cafeteria. Didn't we all wanna be that guy? Or be friends with that guy? Or date that guy? Sigh. Yeah.

Nerd, jocks. My side, your side. It's all bullshit. It's hard enough just trying to be yourself.
So true.
And of course my husband and his sister's favorite line ...
You shit on my house. You shit on my house!
Classic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved that movie too! She had the coolest bedroom (at that time at least).Wow has it really been that long ago? Makes me feel oldish! Stacey and the kiddos (Kieran says hello).