Monday, March 02, 2009

A Good Firm Ass Kicking

I got a firm ass kicking this afternoon in a script read through. I don't say this with a "whoa is me" attitude. I've gotten comfortable enough at this stage in my life and my career that I'm begging people to be honest with me. I know I'm a good writer. I know I can write well. Maybe not the first draft, probably not the second, but I can get there. And I beg and plead people to be straight with me. Does it suck? If so, please god, let me know. I can fix it more often than not. And I'd rather fix it on the page than on the screen. It's a lot easier and a lot cheaper. Sadly, I'm much better at critiquing other people's stuff than I am my own. But I think that's most people.

So with all of that said, I know who I can go to for good, solid, honest, no holds barred criticism. That's what I love and what I need. I already have a mom who tells me she loves everything I do. And I love her for it. But it doesn't necessarily make everything I do good. It just makes her a good mom.

No comments: