Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Film Choices

As I sit and model for my UT kids and Jim works with them in a camera workshop I have a few things to say to them.

Every semester with every film class choices are made. Which short films will get produced in class? Outside of my UT film classes, the students choose which films to make. At UT, it's set up like a studio system. I have 20 some odd students and not all of them can make a film with the resources, the cameras and the crew that we're allotted. My TA and I make the final choice. We chose six this semester. We take into consideration how solid is the script, how clear is the vision of the director through the director's written pitch and this semester they shot a one minute short film at the very beginning of class. As with everything in life, it comes down to personal taste, choosing a variety of genres, and leaving behind some amazing work that we just couldn't choose because we were limited.

There are six great films that will be made in my UT class this semester. And there are many great films from scripts that weren't chosen that will be ready to go next semester. There's a lot of talent in this group. I can't wait to see their collaborations come to life on screen.

No comments: