Friday, January 09, 2009

When the Writing Becomes Sad

I have a fascination with youth. From the movies I make, the movies I write, the movies I see ... Whether it's an animated feature for ten year olds or a depressing tale of adolescent misfortune, I love stories about youth. So as I'm writing this "adult" script with "adult themes", it's taken a turn. Writing always does that for me. I start with something, and it tells me what it'd rather be. So I have to follow it wherever it leads.

This story is more about the idea of youth. About getting older and looking back. And with that said, it's inevitably become more personal. Where I'm at in my life, as I pluck a few gray hairs from my head and watch the lines in my face become more defined. As I experience the institution of marriage and all of the joys and pains that go along with it. I was telling Mark this morning that working on this script's making me a bit sad. Not in a bad way, but in a where am I at, where was I then and where do I want to go kind of way. I don't know. It's just life or whatever.

1 comment:

Owen said...

"It's just life or whatever."

Yes.