Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Favorite (And Not So Favorite) Films of 2008

And the drum roll please ...


FILMS I LOVED THIS YEAR
(And I don’t care what you say. Oscar worthy, schmoscar worthy.)


Son of Rambow
(Make Believe. Not War)
I loved it. I own it. I make all of my friends watch it. It would be my number one. It makes me want to say "Lee Carter" in a British accent all day long.


Shotgun Stories
Jeff Nichols stirs an unsettling, southern tale straight out of a Faulkner novel.


Tell No One
It leaves you guessing right up until the very end. And it’s such a fun non-stop ride to get there.


Drillbit Taylor
I’m a sucker for high school films. And I’m a sucker for the underdog. And hell, I’m a sucker for Owen Wilson too. So yeah, I totally dug it.


Nick and Nora’s Infinite Playlist

One of the best teen comedies I’ve seen in a long time.


Step Up 2 The Streets
Just for the opening subway scene alone. Can we say, "Thank you Jesus for bringing back the dance movies!" Although I'm not sure I'm ready for the remake of Footloose starring Zac Efron. I might be singing a different tune.


CJ7
Stephen Chow, you’re my hero. I love you so much and I wish we could be friends. I think you're really really cool.


You Don’t Mess with the Zohan
I haven’t laughed this hard and non-stop since my college days of getting high and convincing Ama that Calista Flockhart played the female Gelfling in The Dark Crystal.


Swing Vote
Give me more Kevin Costner. The funny, charismatic kind. It’s a shame this film didn’t get an audience. It left me more excited to vote than any political rally, sappy campaign ad or heartfelt speech. And that ain't no lie.


The House Bunny
Dear Adam Sandler and Happy Madison Productions, Thank you for believing in Anna Faris. She’s truly one of the great living comedians we have. I hope you'll give her more money to make more movies. Because she's really funny and has a super big heart. Sincerely, Kat Candler.


The Fall
If you know me, I've probably pushed this film on you at some point. It's solid. Visually breathtaking. The best performance of the year from a 5-year old little girl. Take that Oscar committee!


Glory at Sea
I haven't seen such an unusual and wonderful voice in cinema since well, a really long time. I can't wait to see his first feature. Yes, my friends, this is a short. And it's available. And you should watch it.


(Overall, I think if you look closely there's a running theme through my list of faves ... most of them involve kids and most of them are all about the funny. )

*********************************

FILMS I WASN’T SO CRAZY ABOUT

The Happening

Let’s see how badly we can direct actors before they realize it's a joke. Ok, now let's see how long the studio will shell out money before they realize it's a joke. Oh wait ... it's not a joke? Oh shit.

Twilight
I had high hopes. They were trampled on, smashed, dashed and shoved down the garbage disposal. Please let Chris Weitz mend them back together again.

Hamlet 2
Mean, mean, mean, mean. Not funny, not funny, not funny. Except for the Jesus song. That was kind of funny. But not the rest of the film.

Untraceable
Diane Lane, go back to the light.

The Lost Boys The Tribe
I know, I know. Why'd you even shell out the $3.50, Kat? I thought it would be so bad it was good. Silly me.

Pathology
Again, so bad it was good? Nope. Not this one either. Dagnabit.

Prom Night
How is it humanly possible to make a teen slasher flick so mindlessly boring? At least Jonathan Schaech got a paycheck.

*********************************

BEST TRAILER AND POSTER OF 2008


The Happening
Too bad the movie was a big pile of poo.

*********************************

FILMS I WISH I’D SEEN

Mister Foe

Happy Go Lucky
The Visitor
Paranoid Park
Milk
Iron Man
The Wackness

No comments: