Thursday, October 30, 2008

QTN - Director's Statement

I've been submitting Quarter to Noon to a bunch of festivals. Had to put together a director's statement. So here it is.

For years I sat in a windowless office at a day job I hated. Accounts payable, accounts receivable, travel arrangements, payroll, filing, stapling, spreadsheets, excel, copying, scanning, organizing, typing, choking. I felt claustrophobic and sad. I’d imagine myself as Sam Lowry from Brazil. At any second the walls would close in on me. I’d be shoved to the center of the room, crushed and suffocated by my filing cabinets. But then about a year ago I quit. Put in my notice and said sayonara to the string of mindless day jobs that were ringing out every ounce of creativity I could muster. So instead, I’d start over as a freelance filmmaker and film teacher. Do what I loved to do. Yes sir.

The month I left my last day job (artificial intelligence software administration) was the month I started pre-production on Quarter to Noon. Cathartic, to say the least.

I got the idea to make the film two years ago while I sat in my stupid, generic office. It started out about a girl (me) who crawled out her window and ran really fast to a playground across the street. Escape, be free. But when I finally decided to make the film, it took on a quirky, more fantastical feel. I was lucky enough to work with two super cool actors and a team of great filmmaker friends to bring the story to life. For me, the film was an exercise in no dialogue, using visual effects and oddball comedy. But more importantly, it was a chance to channel all the years of frustration into something fun and inspiring.

The film is about doing what you love. My momma always told me “follow your dreams girly girl and you’ll be happy”. And so I do.

And I am.

--Kat Candler

2 comments:

stefano said...

hi Kat,

I know the office you describe and I am happy for you that you managed to bring your life more in line with what you really want to be/do.

As best as I recall, however, the office next to yours, and the next, and the next one over... were occupied by people who were really, really smart and intellectually adventurous.

I am sure that countless deep and rewarding story lines could have been spun at the intersection of teenager angst and artificial intelligence.

how sad that this opportunity just fell through...

shine on,

stefano

Kat Candler said...

yeah ... there were some pretty rad people that worked there. especially in the office diagonally across from me. that person in particular was super smart and super nice. but then he went away to bigger and better places.