Friday, October 10, 2008

Dekalb Illinois - The Screening

Ok, so I kind of bombed on the Key Note Speech. I held it together for about 5 or 10 minutes and then it went south. I'm not the best with speeches. Yeah, not so much. So I can't say it was a success. But afterwards Bryan and I went to a small town meeting with some folks from the Dekalb school system and I redeemed myself. We participated in an intelligent conversation about suicide prevention and how to bring conversation, curriculum and awareness into middle and high schools. I think Bryan and I brought a younger perspective to the issues. They seemed to like our ideas and afterwards, driving back to the hotel, I felt like we really contributed. I felt like we were a part of something bigger than just a screening. And hopefully they'll take some of the things we said to heart and incorporate them into their strategies.

I'm sitting in a community college lobby all alone working on script notes for my students while a crowd of maybe about a 100 or so watch jumping off bridges. We'll see how they like it. I'll be happy to head home in the morning. As soon as I get back I get to visit my UT student's sets and watch them be brilliant.

2 comments:

abc said...

DeKalb is about 40 minutes from where I grew up (Dixon) and my dad and sister both went to NIU. What happened there feels sorta close, I guess. I'm glad you went there!

Kat Candler said...

this place and these people are amazing. truly, despite the rocky start with stumbling all over myself at a luncheon, this was a fantastic experience. the screening went so well.