Sunday, September 21, 2008

Fantastic Fest - Day 3


The Wild Man of the Navidad
Thank god for Duane Graves and Justin Meeks. Please give these boys the money they deserve to make a bigger film. If for a few thousand dollars they can pull of something like The Wild Man of Navidad, there's no telling what they can do with a proper budget. Seriously, people. These boys are so talented it's not even funny. The film is so unbelievable calculated down to every frame, every cut, every sound cue. It screams 70s film. I laughed my butt off, squeezed my husband's hand a little too hard in the scary parts and found myself getting really jealous at how beautiful it looked. It's a solid script, solid story and Justin Meeks is a knock out performance . This film deserves a big audience. Please go see this film. I promise you a fun, 70s monster film ride through the deep south.


Cargo 200
Ok, so I don't walk out of films very often, but, hey, I'm not a big fan of rape scenes. Nope. Not so much. It's been a while since I've walked out of a film. But tonight, I just couldn't handle it. I was expecting at least one twisted f-ed up film at Fantastic Fest, but y'know what? I don't need to see that crap anymore. My life is just fine without it.


JCVD
I totally dug this film. I don't completely get it. But I definitely had a good time. And yes, Tim League, Van Damme gives a stellar performance in this film. I never thought I'd cry from a Jean-Claude Van Damme film. His monologue was stunning. There you go.


Zombie Girl
Maybe I'm biased, maybe it's because I love the filmmakers and maybe because I love the subjects of this film, but it's one of the best films at the festival. Why? Because it's a solid, well told story. Following Emily Hagins through her first feature film at the age of 12 was a nice departure from the gore and guts from the other films. Anything that involves parents and children tugs at the heart strings. I wept. The way the filmmakers held on Megan Hagins at the end of the film watching her daughter on stage at her premiere almost made me convulsively cry. This is a film that I hope/pray goes beyond Austin walls. It speaks so much louder than anything else I've seen so far.

No comments: