Saturday, September 20, 2008

Fantastic Fest - Day 1 (for Kat)

What's the difference between other festivals and Fantastic Fest? Besides the gore, boobs and kung fu? It's a love fest for movies. There's a frenzy and giddiness about movies. And I love that.


The Substitute
It's not a perfect film, but man it's a fun film. Takes me back to the 80s kid horror, thriller films that I loved growing up. When the substitute for a middle school class is an alien, threatening to take them all back to her planet ... the adventure begins. The ending falls short, but everything leading up to it is well worth it. You'll laugh your butt off.

We started the fest off on a high note and then went down from there.


Eagle Eye
DJ Caruso knows what to do with a camera. No question about it. He gets the most out of every shot and every scene. He's brief, to the point and moves quickly. So it started off on a roller coaster ride following the ever awesome Shia LaBeouf. I love that kid. He can do no wrong in my book. But then the story went south. The believability got shot and the cringe factor went up. I was let down. But it's cool. I'll be psyched to see what DJ Caruso does next.

The Wreck
I'm going to refrain from reviewing this one. It's independent and the filmmakers seemed really nice.

No comments: