Sunday, August 03, 2008

Swing Vote

I was kind of "eh" on going to see Swing Vote. I love when Kevin Costner does his goofy, southern, charming characters (The Upside of Anger) and the trailers kind of tickled my funny bone. And then last May my agent told me to check out Madeline Carroll. "Up and coming" she said.

About five minutes in, I was having some major doubts. The script seemed forced and the characters were a little stiff. But then it eased in pretty nicely. Some punchy lines, heart warming characters and a performance by Madeline Carroll that renews my faith in child actors.
I'm not sure I've laughed out loud so hard since Don't Mess with the Zohan. Two instances in Swing Vote that are too ridiculous to describe that had me holding my belly. Mark looked over to make sure I was ok. And of course, I wept. The tears were a flowin'. Big time. Again, Madeline Carroll gives a kick ass performance.

There were a few places that fell a little short. But overall, I totally dug it. It made me feel proud to be an American. And it made me excited to vote in November. I wish everyone would skip out on their second viewing of The Dark Knight and go check out this film.

No comments: