Thursday, August 28, 2008

Professor Candler


Wait List Student: Professor Candler, I'm on the wait list and I was wondering my chances of getting in to this class.

Kat: Actually, I don't think I'm a Professor, but thank you. You can just call me Kat

Being a part of the university system and community is a strange, surreal feeling. It's been 12 years since I've been in a campus classroom.

I walked to school just in time to make my 11am office hours. I sat in my little office for an hour working on a script, wondering if anyone might knock on my door. No one. So I snuck out early and walked down to the Pita Pit. Swarms of students wearing flip flops, gym shorts and longhorn t-shirts, everywhere. I felt a little out of place. But I sat and ate my pita wrap and worked on my script a little more. Went back to my office and chatted on my phone with my mom (cause it's her birthday, Happy Birthday mom!) and then headed to class.

27 students, so young, staring at me with wide, curious and a few sleepy eyes. I gave them my spiel about expecting rejection, embracing your mistakes, never waiting for permission, loving your people and being a nice human being.

And then I did something I promised myself I wouldn't do. The 7 wait list kids who showed up and sat through the class and looked at me with those big, brown puppy dog eyes ... I added them to the roster. So I've got a big class, more papers to grade and more scripts to read. Fuck it. I couldn't say no.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do. Seeing what tales they spin for the screen.

School is officially in session.

So yeah, you don't have to call me Professor Kat. Just Kat will do.

2 comments:

Kayla Lane said...

Hello Kat,
I hope you don't mind me asking ... but what class do you teach at UT and do you plan on staying there next year? ;] I'm planning on attending UT and studying RTF. I have been a long-time browser of yours and Stacy's blogs and I think you guys are the cat's pajamas! I'd love to meet you and have tea one day if I'm ever in Austin when you are available. I hope this doesn't sound stalker-ish ... I just think you are swell!

Thanks,
Kayla Lane

Kat Candler said...

hey kayla,
i'm teaching advanced narrative digital production right now. crossing my fingers that i'll be there again in the spring. i'd love to meet up when you're in austin. :)
kat