Monday, August 11, 2008

I'm Not an Actress

Once upon a time I was the star of high school plays and musicals, headed to college to be an actor. Spent my freshman year in acting classes at Emerson College. Hated it. Wanted desperately to quit and go home. And so I did. Thank god. I'm not an actress. It was fun and fulfilling as a kid, but not so much now. I cringe when I see myself on screen and realize that it's so much harder than I ever thought. And I ain't cut out for it.

I played a cameo role in Emily's film The Retelling. Reteamed with Paul Conrad from cicadas. It was last minute. Like, last, last minute and I had to memorize lines and hit my marks and all that good stuff. And then last night when Megan showed me my footage from the first day we shot, I couldn't help but think my hair's stringy, my teeth are crooked, my complexion's atrocious ... It made me want to get a hair cut, manicure, and skin foliation (or something like that).

An actress, I'm not. Nor do I have any desire to be.

2 comments:

Megan Hagins said...

Too tough on yerself. All I thought when I watched that was, wow! she's great! I also thought, what a complete sweetheart for doing such a professional job on a moment's notice. Emily is really lucky and the production is better for you contributions...on and off the screen!

Kat Candler said...

i had a lot of fun doing it and hanging out, it's just seeing yourself on screen. ugh.