Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Last Picture Show (1971)

I've been in love with this film since years ago when I first laid eyes on it. I've seen it ... I don't know how many times. It's one of my top ten films ever.

Years ago I went to a friend's wedding in Wichita Falls. I made the two friends that I drove with from Austin take a detour to Archer City where The Last Picture Show was shot. It's pretty much the same in person as it is on screen. One street light, several empty store fronts, tumbleweed ... and the picture show. Sadly, the picture show was gutted and being used as a community theater, but they kept the front of it just the same. I don't know if it's still there but Larry McMurtry basically turned the city into a huge book store. Four huge buildings filled with books from floor to ceiling. No joke. More books then I've ever seen in my life. It was incredible.

So, Karen, Leslie and I caught the Sunday afternoon screening at The Paramount. Seeing it on the big screen with Polly Platt in attendance was super cool.

The other story goes that I'm completely enamored by Timothy Bottoms' performance. It's one of my favorite performances ever in a film. I tried to get him to be in jumping off bridges. We got him the script. He read it and was prepared to do it. But he wanted more money than we could pay.

Regardless, I still love Sonny Crawford. The final scene between him and Ruth Popper breaks my heart every time I watch it.

No comments: