Monday, July 07, 2008

Kids Kick Hollywood's Butt

This has happened twice in the last two weeks. I'm hanging out with a bunch of kids (today, elementary school kids). And I'm making them write stories, characters ... They're scribbling, scribbling away. When I circle their tables and get them started talking about what's going on in their heads, I'm floored. Magical rabbit worlds? Hip hop loving flowers? The imaginary friend searching for his imaginary sister? The ideas these kids come up with blow me away. If only Hollywood would start creative writing partnerships with kids and screenwriters, you'd have some kick ass movies instead of remakes of Scooby Doo and The Dukes of Hazard. I mean seriously, these kids are exploding with original ideas that would knock your socks off.

No comments: