Saturday, July 05, 2008

Drillbit Taylor (2008)

I think I might be in the minority on this one. And I'm totally cool with that. I heard that critics were pretty eh on this movie. And I'm not really sure why. I saw the extended version on DVD and as my husband popped in and out of the room he kept saying this part wasn't in the version I saw in the theater. I'm not sure the major difference between the theater and the DVD version, but I can safely say that I loved this film. Loved it through and through. Had it been anyone but Owen Wilson as Drillbit, I might be singing a different tune. You just want to give him a big, fat hug. Drillbit is such a sincere and likable character who just makes some stupid decisions in life. Don't we all? It's a such a refreshingly sweet film about sticking up for yourself. It's about friendship and what lengths we'll go for our friends. What it means to be a friend.

My husband always tells me I'm a sucker for any film about the underdog. Especially when it comes to nerds, geeks, braniacs and dorks ... Yep, it's true. I love anything and everything nerd driven. Maybe it's because of how I grew up and where I went to school.

Whoever did the casting on this film nailed every single role. From the three geeky boys, down to the parents and the twin brothers. It's a tight script and a sweet story, but the characters and the actors really make this film. And it doesn't surprise me in the least that John Hughes was behind the original story concept. I hope to see more of the Apatow posse and Hughes posse working together in the future. Someone please bring Mr. Hughes back to his teen roots.

No comments: