Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Needles, Rollercoasters and Okra

I'm an allergic mess right now. Stuffed up nose, runny nose (it's very indecisive), fever, headache, sore throat, drippy throat, faint cough from the drippy throat and the occasional sneeze.

I have no idea what I'm allergic to. I visited the allergist for the first time about a year and a half ago. He told me there was no telling what I was allergic to. I'd have to come back to run tests.

Tests? What kind of tests?

Well, we'll stick needles all over your back to figure out what exactly your allergic to.

Uh, I don't think so, Dr. Allergist. I freak out for a week before going in to get my blood drawn. Me and needles don't mix. Me and rollercoasters don't mix. Me and okra ... don't mix. The last time I rode a rollercoaster, I almost threw up. The last time I ate okra, I almost threw up. I won't be back for that needle test thing you do.

So I face the unknown allergies alone. Is it pollen? Ragweed? Mold? My beloved Zen veggie bowl? I'll never know. I don't do needles.

7 comments:

Clare Jane said...

Theo had this done at the allergist and it's not so bad. It's really just little pricks and it's done so super fast. Pretend it's just little thorns like from a rose bush - uncomfortable but not painful. Besides, if a 15-month old can take it, I think you can muster the courage to do it!

Anonymous said...

Claritin,

Ben said...

When my sister was 4, she had the allergy test done. This is a direct quote from my sister, Jessica: "They stuck me with needles 50-60 times. It hurt, but I did not cry, so they gave me a sticker!"

Imagining my sister get stuck by needles made me want to cry. Hearing my sister's excitement about a sticker made so happy.

ryan said...

I had it done all over my back and arms too a few years ago. It wasn't so bad. They let me pick out a movie to watch while they were doing it. I chose "The Blair Witch Project."

abc said...

I did it too. I also have a fear of needles. so if I can do it you can do it. Nevertheless, just get your regular doc to give you some flonase and allegra.

swedette said...

See a good naturopath instead!

Andrea said...

I gotta say I was much the same way as you. The allergy test was really nothing. Mine had no needles at all. It was just a bunch of these little plastic nubs with stuff on them and then they would just kinda scratch my back with them. Seriously, I could probably make myself hurt more with my nails.

I ended up being allergic to EVERYTHING except cockroaches. So, now I take allergy shots twice a week. Needles are nothing now! Pshaw! I laugh in the face of needles! Oh, yah, and now it's a rarity for me to have any allergy issues. Totally worth it.