Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend Movie Binge

I've been on a Memorial Day Weekend Movie Binge. Two on Friday/Saturday. Five on Saturday/Sunday.

New Best Friend
Ummm ... hmmm. Not so great. I loved Wild Things. The New Best Friend gang was trying to pull off the same sort of thing but it didn't really work.


Kalifornia
Damn it's good. The script is just as crazy as its characters. Downright hilarious laugh out loud moments to tension that left me curling as small as I could fit into my lazy boy.

I wish Juliette Lewis hadn't taken up rock n roll in exchange for movies. That girl's something else.

Prince Caspian
My mom read the books to me and my brother as a kid, but I couldn't tell you much of what happened besides a wardrobe leading into a world of minotaurs and ice queens. And I didn't see the first one that came out a few years ago. I was a little lost to references to the first film/story. But after a bit of narrative set up, I fell into it. Yes, it had all the makings of a good TV movie for kids, but on a big screen. But who cares, I totally enjoyed it. Even teared up a little. That Peter Dinklage and the kid that plays Peter stole the show for me.

Trapped
I'm writing a new script that involves obsessive love. So I pulled some random stuff off the shelf. This was one of those. It doesn't even involve obsessive love. I just grabbed it. It's fine. Nothing out of the ordinary. It reminds me what an amazing kid actor Dakota Fanning was. You can't deny it. Even after years of Dakota Fanning saturation, go back and look at her earlier days, the girl's really good.
What Happens in Vegas
I'm an Ashton Kutcher fan. I might be in the minority, but I don't care. I think the kid is great. Not so much a kid anymore, I guess. But he's completely charming and is the kind of actor that doesn't care about making a complete fool of himself. I laughed out loud pretty much through the entire thing. It's a solid, hilarious, sometimes very cheesy romantic comedy that knows how to bring it to the screen. It's a solid popcorn flick that left me wanting more.

1 comment:

patrick said...

most of the romantic comedies i've seen with Ashton Kutcher have been pretty good, A Lot Like Love is another example