Thursday, May 29, 2008

High Concept vs. Time Machines

I love the phrase high concept. It gets tossed out a lot in this Hollywood world. I pretend to understand what it means, but deep down, I'm like, huh?

High Concept is an intriguing idea that can be stated in a few words and is easily understood by all. Dude, that's like anything.

Hollywood movies = High Concept + Big Stars + Wide Audience Appeal. I know all this. But I want to think that studios can remember a time when they took chances on stories and directors. That there was a time when story superseded everything else. Maybe we should invent a time machine to go back to the 70s and 80s so we can remember that.

Some days I embrace and find the love for Hollywood, other days I want to light a match and watch it burn.

2 comments:

Lorie said...

Hollywood studios used to be run by individuals. Today, they're run as subsidiaries of global conglomerates. I think the producing/distributing/financing entities that'll be the next Big Fans of Story are the ones looking "outside the box" for their delivery channels and audiences. Another reason that Theatrical Release is not the only Holy Grail for filmmakers.

Kat Candler said...

a friend and i decided that we need to send all of the studio development people back to film history class. make it mandatory that in order to head development meant you had to have a well versed palette for film. i like that. they also need to have movie clubs where they watch everything from PORKY'S to DAYS OF HEAVEN.