Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Professional - 1994

I saw The Professional in the theaters in 1994. I watched it again tonight with friends and fresh eyes, 14 years later. I loved it in college and I really loved the uncut version we saw tonight. The film seduced me with two beautifully crafted and nuanced characters who fall in love (but not in a sexual way) in a world where children and violence go hand in hand. I wish Natalie Portman were still 12 and gave such affecting performances like this one and Beautiful Girls instead of Star Wars and Garden State. I wish Jean Reno did more American films. I wish writers would write more characters and relationships like these.

This just on the heels of watching the Nickelodeon Television movie and The Last Days of Summer, The Sasquatch Gang, Hot Rod and making 50 or so cupcakes for a baby shower.

2 comments:

Brian said...

wow, you're fast!
-BMS

David Lowery said...

I love, love love this movie. I saw it when I was thirteen and fell madly in love with Natalie Portman. It inspired me to write my first novel, which was sort of like The Professional meets Interview With The Vampire meets Les Miserables. And yeah, the uncut version is even better. So much more mature.