Monday, March 03, 2008

I Love You, My Audience

I fell in love with my audience in my very first drama class in eighth grade. We were both young and innocent and didn't really know what we were doing. After performing my first monologue about a prostitute in NYC, we locked eyes. I knew it was fate. That day started what would become a life long romance. I loved my audience and knew right then and there, I couldn't live without them. I went through high school in the drama department, the Thespian club, community theater, starring in countless high school plays.

My audience stuck with me through college. They suffered through poetry pieces, short fiction and painfully pretentious essays on Virginia Woolfe. But they got bored. Real quick. I felt them wriggle in their seats and could hear their distant yawns. They tried to fake it, but I could see right through them. We were growing apart. It was bound to happen sooner or later. So we took a break from the relationship and went our separate ways.

A few years later, I moved to Austin. It was the strangest thing. Totally random. We ran into each other in a movie theater. I was screening my second short film, Avenue K and my audience just happened to be there. As the lights came up, we locked eyes. It was almost like the first day we met so long ago. All of the memories and good times came flooding back. I knew for certain we could never part again.

Fast forward 10 years. We've had a long, long relationship. Good times and bad. I will admit, I've felt betrayed a few times, misunderstood and sometimes we weren't the best communicators, but we held on. We stuck with it. And it's been a rewarding relationship. If tough times present themselves, we make a pact to spend some time apart, but it's always me that comes running back, groveling. I can't help it. I love my audience with every ounce of my being. I'd die without them.

No comments: