Thursday, March 27, 2008

College Town Record Stores Bite the Dust

This is a sad article about the demise of college record stores.

My favorite record store in the world was Vinyl Fever in Tallahassee, FL. In my college days, I was a frequent visitor to their used bin. Sadly, I didn't make enough money at the Oak Lake Six movie theater to purchase anything new. All of our friends worked there at one point or another. Some of them still do. It was one of the few hang outs besides the FSU Union Steps or the CowHaus (where all the bands came to play). You walked in the Vinyl Fever door and no matter what, you felt at home.

If you're reading this you recently read that I don't hang out at the record stores anymore. That's what those aimless college days were for.

What I just remembered in writing this is that when I first started dating Mark many years ago, I asked him, So what do you want to do with your life? He didn't skip a beat. Own an indie record store. I thought to myself. Cool.

No comments: