Monday, February 04, 2008

They Call it Xanadu

Growing up there were two people in the whole wide world that I wanted to be: Sheena Queen of the Jungle and Kira from Xanadu.

When we lived in the Laguna Villa apartments during my elementary years, I discovered the magic of Xanadu. And what magic it was. After seeing the movie for the first time in the theater, I was a changed seven year old. I knew exactly what I was destined to do. Be a roller skating goddess.

I convinced my mom to sign me up for roller skating lessons at The Skate Place. Every Saturday morning, she'd haul me across town so I could learn to twirl, skate backwards and glide gracefully across the disco floor. Just like Kira. Even though we didn't have a lot of money, mom saved up for the pair of skates I'd been eyeing at the Skate Place skate shop. They were just like Olivia Newton John's, all white with blue wheels and a blue stopper. Except for mine didn't glow. Technicalities.

After school, I'd bust out my blue and yellow Disney record player. I'd plug it in on the front stoop, carefully place the needle on the record and skate up and down the sidewalk for the rest of the afternoon. I knew the soundtrack by heart and would sing it out loud. "What we have made is real. We are in Xanadu ooh ooh ooh ooh." And then hands flew into the air "A million lights are dancing and then there you are a shooting star. An everlasting world and you're here with me. Eternally." Synthesizer, "Dun, dun, dun". In my little tube top and Hawaiian wrap shorts, I was living the dream.

A couple of years ago I made the mistake of revisiting Xanadu. If this is one of your faves like it was mine, I'm implore you, DON'T WATCH IT AGAIN. Let the childhood dream live on forever.

The pain. The torture. The bad acting. I took it pretty hard. With that said, I refuse to ever rent Sheena and relive those glory days. She'll just keep riding that zebra into the sunset with the strength, bravery and cute little jungle outfit that only Tanya Roberts back in the 80s could pull off.

3 comments:

amy said...

(Beastmaster still holds up ok-- so does Highlander...)

amy said...

(and Valley Girl!) :D

Kat Candler said...

Beastmaster scared the living daylights out of me. The huge bat like scary dudes that swallow people and their bones fall out. And the baby sacrifice. I had nightmares for weeks. I was pretty upset that my parents took me to the theater to see that. Shame on them.

Highlander ... I love that movie. But just the first one. Not the 15 or so that followed. Whatever happened to Christopher Lambert?