Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I'm a Writer

For some reason it's always been hard for me to say I'm a Writer. I never really thought of myself as a writer. Screenwriter? Ok, sure. But like a real writer? Like a real, real writer? Nah, I don't know. I can write things. But are they interesting?

I went to FSU for creative writing. But it was kind of a fluke. After pursuing a career in acting at Emerson College in Boston, I decided, the actor's life was not the life for me. So I headed back home to Florida State University.

A bunch of my high school friends went to FSU. So I did a lot of asking around to figure out what to major in. Mike was a religion major. I thought about that for an hour. Nah. Brian was studying History. Nope. I sucked at history. Business, Biology, Social Work ... nah. Karen and Ama were in the creative writing program. Since the three of us lived in the same house, I figured it'd be easy to do our homework together. And so I signed up for the English/Creative Writing major. I took classes in poetry, short fiction, Latino literature, Women's literature, playwriting, but never ever screenwriting.

I remember in a poetry class a friend introduced herself by saying, My name is so and so and I am a poet. Karen, Ama and I exchanged some major eye rolling. God! It sounded so pretentious. But it was true. She was a poet. And a really, really good one. She still is. She's been published many times. So what was so pretentious about that?

I don't know. I guess I'm a writer.

I'm a writer. I am a writer. Yo, I'm a writer. Dude, I write some shiznit.

No comments: