Thursday, February 28, 2008

Comics Crash Course

I love this Pop Candy post.

It's been years since I've been to the comic book store. Austin Books and Comics. I think the last time I was there was with the ex-boyfriend in 2002? As much as I loved stepping foot inside and smelling the fresh ink and paper, I always felt really out of place. I'd fake like I knew what I was looking for (just to be cool) even though I rarely wandered from the one section I knew. The alternative section. I'd amble over to superheroes or Anime, but I felt like I was looking at Sanskrit. I had no clue. So after the ex and I split, I resorted to online orders. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge comic person by any means. I have a small collection of prized favorites that the ex originally introduced me to. And those are the ones that stuck ... Dan Clowes, Adrian Tomine, Chris Ware, Lynda Barry ... I couldn't get in to some of the darker ones that involved super powers, badasses or vampires. Just give me wimpy, angst ridden characters.

Here's one that I might have to investigate though. Totally up my alley:

25. Unlovable by Esther Pearl Watson. You may have seen Watson's comic on the back page of Bust magazine. She sells Unlovable mini-comics on her website; they follow the hapless adventures of Tammy Pierce, an awkward teen growing up in the '80s. Tracking Tammy admidst shoulder pads, unrequited crushes, locker-room horror stories and more is both hilarious and a little heartbreaking.
For fans of: Square Pegs, The Smiths, Molly Ringwald

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/#mea=221773