Friday, December 28, 2007

Triple Feature Friday

Mark had off today so ... movie marathon! A triple feature. Sweeney Todd, Charlie Wilson's War and The Orphanage. I can't say a whole lot about the first two. Sweeney Todd looked cool. I love Tim Burton's worlds, but I only emotionally connect to a handful of his films. This was not one of them. Charlie Wilson's War was more entertaining. I enjoyed Tom Hanks and Philip Seymour Hoffman's performances but was a little embarrassed by Julia Roberts'.

The movie that sucker punched me was The Orphanage. If you want a sobbing mess, put in a movie about children, mothers, abandonment or losing a child. The Orphanage brought me back to my experience with the Japanese version of Dark Water.

I wasn't clear on the plot going in which was refreshing. I just knew it was a ghost story. I love a good ghost story. And I've found that the best ones come from outside the U.S.. Sadly, here, we like to make films about torturing young, voluptuous tourists who stumble onto some psychopath at a rest stop who then chains them to a wall in some cave in the woods and rips out their stomach ... slowly of course. I'll take a good story over that shit any day. I won't go into detail on The Orphanage, but needless to say, I loved it. Yes, it's got the jump from your seat frights, bumps in the night and scary masked children, but it also has a rather large heart. As I put together my top 10 of this year, it might very well be on it.

No comments: