Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Quarterlife vs. My So Called Life

My anticipation was high when I saw the blurb in Rolling Stone about this new show Quarterlife from the creators of My So Called Life. I'm a huge MSCL fan. After watching it over and over and over again on MTV back in college, I watched my VHS copies to death. I know the lines backwards and forwards and even use them in my every day, "You're so beautiful, it hurts to look at you", "Because I live in the world". Minus the Christmas episode with Juliana Hatfield, it's a perfect television series. I loved every single character from Angela to Krakow to Rayanne. Winnie Holzman, you're my hero. She got it right. Perfectly so.

I watched the first 2 episodes of Quarterlife the other day. And now tonight I'm up to episode 6. Maybe it's because it's in 10 minute segments and it's hard to pack that much drama into that little amount of time, but I'm not crazy about it. It feels kind of empty to me. I love the main character. She's really the only character I like. I just have a hard time connecting with anyone else. It feels forced where MSCL just sort of slid off the page gracefully and authentically. Again, does it come down to the 10 minutes? Probably. It's a hard one to pull off I think. But I'm completely intrigued now by this internet/TV thing. Before I swore off watching stuff on the web. Now I might be a changed internet viewer. Curious.

I'm off to bed now that my last student project has been turned in at 11pm on Wednesday evening.

2 comments:

Trevor said...

I just found Quarterlife the other day. Although I've never seen My So Called Life, Quarterlife is definitely the best internet TV I've seen.

It's interesting how the short attention span required for the online audience influences the editing... everything is very 'trim'... doesn't allow a lot of time for moments to breath. So it's hard to tell if it's the time restraints or something else that's ebbing away my empathy... but, that said, I'm still watching it :)

Kat Candler said...

I'm still not crazy about the characters. They seem a little too self absorbed and lifeless to me. Please go watch MSCL. I tell you, the pilot alone is so wonderful. I just heard that Quarterlife got picked up to air on TV. So we shall see. Had a discussion with a friend yesterday in that internet viewings barely let you see actors eyes. That's probably number one about what I miss.