Sunday, December 30, 2007

My Top 13 Films of 2007

It was a really good year for movies. A year of surprises, quiet sleepers, small movies, big movies, art house flicks and everything in between. These are my top 13, not in any particular order (besides alphabetical). I couldn't get it down to 10. And after talking to Mark, If I had to pick my two favorites ... I mean, if someone twisted my arm and told me I had to narrow it down, I'd probably go with Black Snake Moan and Juno.


Away From Her – Sarah Polley I think you rule. Such a quiet, patient film that unfolded delicately with sweet, sweet care. The performances by both Julie Christie and Gordon Pinsent were painfully rich and subtle.

Black Snake Moan – I’m a little stunned by the bad reviews. Did they just look at the poster? Did they forget to go in to the movie theater? Stupid critics. This film felt like a heartbroken fairytale dressed in daisy dukes and a halter top. Christina Ricci shined. Before this, my favorite performance of hers was in Addams Family Values. (which I saw probably 20 or so times). I have to say, I’m a big fan of Craig Brewer.

Disturbia – It’s a popcorn flick through and through. But damn it’s the best popcorn flick I’ve seen in a long, long time.

I Know Who Killed Me - I don’t care what anyone else says. I loved it.


Juno – I laughed and wept harder than any other movie this year. I think of all of these films, this one hit me the most.

Lars and the Real Girl – No one can deny that Mr. Gosling has that something special. The boy can do no wrong. But this movie was the heart and soul of everyone in it, down to the extras in the church scenes. A film about family and community. It made me have a little more faith in humanity.


Live Free or Die Hard – John McClane came back with a vengeance. From the first frame, I was on the edge of my seat. I’m not a big fan of rollercoasters, but I loved the hell out of this one. Probably my mom's #1 of 2007.

Michael Clayton – Rock solid. Not a bad thing I can say about this film. And I’m not a huge George Clooney fan. Really not a George Clooney fan.

No Country For Old Men – It’s rare that films can stand equally beside the books they're adapted from. And I loved this book. It was my entrance into Cormac McCarthy’s world. The Coens captured his words right off the pages and carefully painted them on to the screen, respectfully and faithfully.

Once – What can I say? I cry just listening to the soundtrack. Hats off to you, John Carney, for making such a beautiful film. It’s no wonder that my neighbor saw it 12 times.

Ratatouille – After Monsters Inc. and The Incredibles, it’s my third favorite Pixar film.

The Orphanage – Thank god for Spanish filmmakers. Bringing the magic and stories back into the movies and showing American "horror" directors how it’s really done.


Waitress – I loved Adrienne Shelly from her Hal Hartley days. But I had no idea she had her own wonderful stories to tell. If only we could’ve seen what she would’ve done next.


The ones I haven’t seen: Atonement, Before the Devil Knows Your Dead, The Savages, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, There Will Be Blood

Other films I really enjoyed: Knocked Up, Bridge to Terabithia, The Messengers, Hot Fuzz, Chalk, The Host, Vacancy, In The Land of Women, 28 Weeks Later, Superbad, Rescue Dawn, Death Proof, The Darjeeling Limited, 30 Days of Night, Dan In Real Life

The ones I hated: Fracture, Year of the Dog, The Number 23, Spiderman 3, Because I Said So, The Ex, Walk Hard

4 comments:

trudel said...

What about "across the universe"? :O

Kat Candler said...

I didn't see it.

trudel said...

Ah. You should. :)

Kat Candler said...

Just saw Eastern Promises this morning. I'm adding that one to my list. And Lord of the Flies (1963). Even if it came out a long time ago.