Friday, December 21, 2007

Jacksonville Beach - Christmas Break

I grew up in Jacksonville Beach, FL. It's changed a lot since I was a teenager. Bigger houses, more shopping centers, restaurants like Carrabas and Chilis on every corner.

In school I always looked forward to Christmas Break. It meant 2 solid weeks of hanging out with my friends, day and night. We'd cram in late nights with Monty Python and afternoons at Taco Bell over 99 cent nachos.

Some of my fondest memories from Christmas Breaks:
  1. Gena, Garrett, Aaron, Warren and I walking up to the Pablo 5 theater to see Lord of the Flies and then reenacting scenes the whole walk home.
  2. Riding bikes with Garrett through his neighborhood.
  3. The boys sneaking onto the pier, running all the way down, jumping off and swimming back to shore. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
  4. Teaching everyone how to drive stick shift in my Toyota Tercel while almost destroying the clutch.
  5. Seeing Fantasia in the movie theater and debating through the whole movie whether to put my head on Garrett's shoulder. I can't remember if I ever did.
  6. Jumping up and down on the beach under a full moon so the iridescent lights would shimmer from beneath the sand. It's something you have to see to believe. But I swear it happens.
  7. Canoeing in the middle of the night down the Intracoastal waterway and sneaking onto boats that weren't ours.
  8. Vandalizing golf courses. Again, so stupid. I'm surprised no one ever got arrested.
  9. Playing Blind Fury, Ghost in the Graveyard and Hide and Go Seek in Garrett's back yard.
  10. Going to Einstein's with Karen and Clare just to sit in the corner while they danced to Throwing Muses, The Smiths and Camper Van Beethoven. But I didn't care. I felt cool just being there.

No comments: