Sunday, November 11, 2007

NYC - Day 6, Day 7, My Birthday

Today's my birthday. I turn 33. I can't remember if that's a good year or not. Kurt and Karen devised some system to figure out which years were the good ones long ago. 27 was supposed to be a good one. And 23, I think too. So yeah, crossing my fingers for 33. Karen and Ralph are asleep as I sit here in their Brooklyn apartment writing, pondering. Clare, Kelly and Ama are in the West Village headed to Whole Foods to grab some grub for brunch. I'm not anxious to get home today. I want to see my boy and my PC, but there are things that I'd rather continue to escape from up here rather than facing down there.

I've spent the last day and a half dancing at 2 in the morning to Ride, Adorable, Dinosaur Jr ... reminiscing, hugging on my girls, talking about life and love and children. Getting to see Maya and Tanya Barr, crying because I miss them, because I miss all of my girls. I miss the days of simplicity and silliness. As the years have gone by and we grow older and more complicated, so do our relationships and our friendships. Sometimes for the good and sometimes for the bad. It bums me out. I guess that's what happens. It's strange because my 30s have been wonderful and all, but I feel like the older I get, the more tangled things become. Maybe not everyone's like that. But then they'd be liars. I wish I could sit in the livingroom chatting with my girls over DDP and DC way more often than we get to. Our friendships run deep. Since junior high. But sadly we're literally all over the edges of the country. And in all honesty, I'm terrible with the phone.

I wish I weren't going home today. I wish I could spend the day in Central Park with everybody. But then Kelly goes home tomorrow and then Ama and things will go back to normal. But for me, normal has to change a little. I've got to make a few tweaks.

So yeah, today's my birthday. I'm feeling a little low. A bit sad. I want to hop on the L train to Clare's house and get some much needed hugs. Right now, this whole week has very much felt like home to me.

6 comments:

Trevor said...

Happy Birthday Kat!

Mandy said...

Happy birthday! I'm glad you're sharing it with some of your very favorite people.

Joe M. O'Connell said...

Happy Birthday, Kat!

33 is a great year...

Joe

Victor said...

Happy Birthday, Kat! Mandy and I will owe you a birthday hug next time we see you.

karen said...

It felt like home to me too, sitting with you & Clare chatting after Theo went to bed, and staying up late dancing, hopped on on Cokes and DDP's (as Ralph said), the whole weekend was lovely. I hope we make it happen every year at least.

David Lowery said...

33 is such a beautifully symmetrical number! I've also heard rumors that it has some religious connotations, but I don't know much about that sorta thing. Oh, but I do know that it's a Smashing Pumpkins song, so that's gotta count for something.