Monday, October 22, 2007

Playing Hooky with Alice Sebold

I played hooky yesterday from the whole wide world. Slept in until 8am. Read my new book. Went back to sleep for about 1/2 an hour. Got back up read for a few more hours. Went for a long walk with Mark. Read some more. Took a hot bath, read some more. Cleaned up the house, read a little more. Watched America's Next Top Model and then finished my book. I read The Lovely Bones a few years back and fell in love with it. So over the weekend, I picked up Lucky, Alice Sebold's memoir about her rape at age 18. I couldn't put it down. She has a real distant voice in her writing that I like a lot. She separates herself emotionally. It's a strange tone, but one that I can get into. I was just telling someone that I need to read more. I have many on my list it's just scooting everything aside and not worrying about the world beyond those pages. It's hard for me to do, but I want to make an effort to do it more. I like getting lost in someone else's world.

No comments: