Monday, September 17, 2007

My Strengths

Adrienne, just tagged a few of us.

"Make a list of five strengths that you possess as a writer/artist. It’s not really bragging, it’s an honest assessment (forced upon you by this darn meme). Please resist the urge to enumerate your weaknesses, or even mention them in contrast to each strong point you list. Tag four other writers or artists whom you’d like to see share their strengths."

1. I have a strength in everything teen. I was just telling Mark the other day that I would love to be the next John Hughes. It was mentioned in a review. I forget which one. And it was super flattering, but not true. Yet. If I could create a body of work that rivaled Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, Some Kind of Wonderful and Ferris Bueller's Day Off , I'd die a happy girl.

2. I love dialogue. I love the way people talk. I think I do a decent job capturing conversation.

3. I love my characters. I love them so much I want to hang out with them. They make me laugh. They break my heart. They're ridiculous. They're human. But I think they all have a huge heart.

4. I listen. I'm good at listening to feedback, ideas, criticism. I haven't always been this way. I used to be terrified of anyone else's opinions. It's hard to realize that you're not always right. And that sometimes you make stupid choices. But I think I do a good job now of knowing when I need help and asking for it.

5. I'm a workaholic. I'm a freak about writing, making, planning, doing. When I moved to town long ago I met a lot of talkers. You know, the people who are always thinking about this or wanting to do that, but never do? I will never ever be a talker. Ever. I say I'm going to do something, I do it. I might fail. I might make something I'm not proud of. But I learn from it, I get up and I move on. I keep making. I keep writing. I keep doing.

People I tag: David L., Meredith, Sean, Ama, Kelly R.

No comments: