Tuesday, August 28, 2007

10 Flicks Every Student Should See

I was asked a month or so ago to contribute to an article for the Tallahassee Democrat about what 10 films every college student should see. Here's the article which features lists from Tony Hale, Cheryl Hines, Victor Nunez ... all of whom have Tallahassee ties.

Here's my list:

Wings of Desire (Wim Wenders, 1987)
I discovered this film my freshman year of college (1992) when Clare and I went to a Harvard Film Archives screening. I had no idea what hit me.

The Sweet Hereafter (Atom Egoyan, 1997)
When I first moved to Austin and was taking Steve's Austin Film Works class, he recommended this film. Afterwards, I was obsessed with Atom Egoyan. I saw him present a collection of his short films at UT (can't remember the name), but one of which stands as one of my favorites short films of all time.

Afterlife (Hirokazu Koreeda, 2005)
I love this movie. So much. I love Nobody Knows too, but it was something magical when I discovered this film.

Red, White and Blue (Krzysztof Kieslowski)
I saw all three at the Moore auditorium at FSU. Cinematically, it changed my perspective on film.

The Ice Storm (Ang Lee, 1997)
One of my all time favorite films ever.

A Woman Under the Influence (John Cassavetes, 1974)
Oh, what it is to discover Cassavetes. I was late in life on this one. It gave me great appreciation for actors and performances.

Streetwise (Martin Bell, 1985)
I can't remember who recommended it to me ... Kurt, maybe? It was at a time when I was at Waterloo Video picking up a different documentary every single night. It might be my favorite documentary.

Badlands (Terrence Malick, 1973)
Who recommended it, I can't remember. But getting sucked in to the beauty of Malick's worlds, there was no turning back. I'm a huge fan of all of his films. But the first one I saw will always be my favorite.

Dazed and Confused (Richard Linklater, 1993)
This is my favorite Linklater film. It holds a HUGE place in my heart. In Tallahassee, the IC Flicks (very similar to the Alamo Draughthouse) would play Dazed and Confused over and over and over again. I probably saw it at least 5 or 6 times in the theater. It was a college comfort film. I didn't put two and two together until I moved to Austin.

Salesman (Maysles Brothers, 1968)
Scott Bate told me about this film. We went together to an Austin Film Festival screening. I think it struck me hard because my dad has basically been a salesman all his life. I fell in love with the Maysles signature style.

No comments: