Saturday, July 21, 2007

I Heart River Phoenix

Stacy and David tagged me. So here goes:

Rules:
1. We have to post these rules before we give you the facts.
2. Players start with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
3. People who are tagged write their own blog post about their eight things and include these rules.
4. At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged and that they should read your blog.

8 things:

1. My great great grandfather's second cousin (or something like that) invented Coca Cola. I'm a Candler. It's a big deal in Atlanta (where I was born) and where the Coca Cola empire lives, but not so much in Texas.

2. I used to keep baby frogs as pets when I was a kid.

3. I was so confused about french kissing when I was in junior high that I had to ask my friend Kelly MacEwan, "So what exactly do you do in there?" My first french kiss was with Rick Hill in Karen Browning's back yard. In high school Rick was a YAFer (Young Americans for Freedom) . Now he's a lawyer for the Alabama Supreme Court.

4. I eat Mango Passion Granola every single day. But sadly Central Market has been out for a week and I've had to eat Light Crunchy Granola that has sunflower seeds in it. It's so not the same.

5. I love River Phoenix. I've crushed on him since seeing Stand By Me at a slumber party long, long ago. His picture from magazines covered my junior high bedroom. I read every cheesy Teen Bop article and every cheap paperback biography I could get my hands on. I watched everything from Mosquito Coast to A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon not just once, but over and over again. My freshman year of high school his band Aleka's Attic played at Einstein's in Jacksonville and I got to stand next to him at the bar. And in those few moments, I was breathless. I remember it like it was yesterday.

October 31, 1993, the night he died, Karen and Ama were too afraid to tell me. I woke up to the news report and flipped out. I wept the entire day. I've never felt for another actor the way I did for River Phoenix.

6. I was the lead singer in a band in college, Jake Ryan (yes, in reference to Sixteen Candles). The only thing we ever released was a 7" record on beautiful white vinyl. I still have a ton of them in a box in my closet. We played rock shows with the likes of Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, Babe the Blue Ox, Versus and Sleepyhead. I even wrote a song about River Phoenix. Our band broke up the afternoon we were to head out on our second tour.

7. I have the tiniest fingernails you'll ever see on a human being.

8. My family and my friends are my everything.

I’m tagging Meredith, Maya, Kelly, Clare, Joe, Ama, Ryan and Mandy

5 comments:

Alison said...

i was obsessed with Wil Wheaton--also starting with Stand By Me. And I had to live through The Farm and Star Trek Next Generation because of my obsession. I wrote him countless letters and the day I got an autographed picture in the mail was the happiest day of my life. Thankfully, I've moved on.

Anonymous said...

we released a cassette.

-Jake Ryan

Mandy said...

Hey, you made me post on my blog again!

Joe said...

how were u obsessed with wil wheaton, he's so ugly, river phoenix was the only one on that entire set who looked good. i just can't understand it...

Anonymous said...

Are there lyrics that you could post, if not the song itself?