Thursday, May 24, 2007

Music of the Heart

For a good many years I've gone without a CD player in my car. The tape player in my old car had a mixed tape stuck in it. A good one, but after about the 100th time of listening to it, it got old. So I missed out on listening to new music in my car for a good while. Except, of course for the radio's top 40. I got to know all of JT's singles, Nelly Furtado and several others. I became friends with Mike and Jason on 101X in the mornings and more recently discovered Bobby Bones. All cheesy and wonderfully entertaining, but there's no substitute for putting in a good record and having it take your breath away. With the purchase of a new car came a sweet CD player. So now I'm catching up on all the cool records that I missed out on. In college, I worked as a deejay at the FSU radio station. I had my finger on the pulse of the latest and greatest indie rock. I was hip to what the kids were listening to. Luckily I have a husband who makes faithful trips to the record store every Tuesday. He has a library of great music. So he's been planting stacks of CDs in my car. This morning I had an old Smashing Pumpkins records, The Shins, Amy Winehouse, Arcade Fire and I snuck in some Explosions in the Sky. So in traffic I sat blaring Explosions and cried.

No comments: