Friday, April 13, 2007

Vonnegut and my silly crush

I hated living in Boston the fall I turned 18. It was my freshman year at Emerson College and I dreaded my 8am, Monday - Friday acting class with my British (you have to relive every bad experience you've had to be a good actor) acting teacher. So over Christmas break, I told my parents I wasn't going back. I came home to Florida and took a semester off.

I spent that semester at the Jacksonville Beach public library for two reasons. I discovered Kurt Vonnegut and was on a mission to read everything he'd written. And I developed a silly crush on one of the librarians.

Mr. Vonnegut's worlds were like nothing I'd ever experienced. Over those several months, I devoured everything from Mother Night to Slapstick. And about my silly crush? We never exchanged more than a few sentences ... "Do you have your library card?" "Here you go." "All right you're good to go!" But wouldn't you know it, we ended up at the same college in Tallahassee years later. AND he married a friend. AND he lives back in Jacksonville, has a little girl named Dorian and works at the Jacksonville public library.

No comments: