Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Dark Water

Mark rented Dark Water, the original Japanese version for our Halloween festivities. I thought I was in for a night of jumping out of my seat scares and covering my face with a blanket. Little did I know I'd be a bawling baby, curled up in the corner of our Lazy Boy. It hit me pretty hard. The story explores the idea of abandonment. Motherless children. When I was very young I went to Girl Scout Camp for two weeks. I spent two excruciating weeks crying myself to sleep, wondering if my mom was coming to get me, feverish and sick. I asked repeatedly to call her so I could go home, but the teenage camp counselors told me that wasn't possible. I was eight, maybe nine. Only three times in my life have I felt violently sick to my stomach from from grief ... when Aaron died, during my eight year break up and Girl Scout Camp. I had no idea this movie would push me to the ground and trample me until exhaustion. It's not the haunting image of a faceless child down a long rotting hallway that slithered under my skin, but the childhood feelings of abandonment. My mother didn't abandon me. She had no idea that I was lying awake every night in a cabin in the woods wondering when I would see her again. Aching in my belly. The whole year after that I had extreme panic attacks if my mom was two minutes late picking me up. I refused countless invitations to slumber parties and to spend the night with my friends. I was deeply afraid I'd be left behind and forgotten about. I'm ready to sleep and forget about all of this. Sadly I don't think I'll be able to. I don't remember the last time a film caught me off guard like this.

2 comments:

David Lowery said...

I love the original Dark Water - it's J-horror with heart. Walter Salles did his best with the remake, but it didn't pack quite the same punch.

Lorie said...

I, too, was touched by Dark Water. It was so much more than a movie where "things go bump in the night" and jolt the audience with cheap scares. I was (pleasantly, if that's the right word) surprised by the emotion of it. I'm sorry it sparked remembrances of icky feelings for you. Feel better!